In 1803 John Work and his brother, Henry, moved west from Pennsylvania with their families to seek a better life. Henry died of a fever in 1804, and John cared for Henry's family as well as his own. He purchased a large tract of land in the southern part of the Indiana territory in what is now Clark County, and built a mill on 14 Mile Creek.
By 1814 the mill John had built was showing signs of wear, and the water level in 14 Mile Creek was too low during certain times of the year for the mill to operate. Some men would have merely gotten by, but John Work had a plan...
Note: If you are interested in touring the John Work home or the Tunnel Mill grounds, please visit the Historic Tunnel Mill Living History Center. The owner of www.tunnelmill.org is not affiliated with the living history center or the Boy Scouts of America. The webmaster is merely a descendant of John Work who is interested in history.
In Spring of 2010, a historically-oriented company, Taylor Rose Historical Outfitters, contracted with the owners of the John Work house, the Boy Scouts of America, to restore the building and use it as a primary business location, education center, and interpretive area for Indiana and local early 19th century interpretive programming. The restoration is underway and some parts of the house are open to the public DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS. To follow the progress of the restoration, visit the Historic John Work House Restoration blog, or follow Taylor Rose Historical Outfitters on Facebook!